Square Enix to Charge for FF Demo

By Mike on 11:36 am

Filed Under:

Final Fantasy XIII is coming out soon. I admit I've never played any of the FF games. The game is already stirring up some controversy in the gaming community, and no, it's actually not from Jack Thompson this time. The demo of the game is said to include 90 minutes of gameplay and will be included with the Blu-ray release of the movie Final Fantasy: Advent Children. Developer/Publisher Square Enix has said that they will also package the demo separately, for a price. How much is not known at this point.

The demo does include an hour and a half of gameplay but in my opinion, it's pretty cheap to charge for a demo. It's almost as tasteless as having a cash bar at a wedding. The whole point of a demo is that they are free trial versions of a game. That brings us to this month's survey question. Would you pay for a stand alone demo of a game? This does not include demos that come with gaming magazines, movies, or other purchases.

Source: PSU

2 comments for this post

Apparently this news as of now is only for the Japanese demo (no word on if they'll be selling it in the U.S. too). I certainly hope they don't, but honestly I wouldn't be too upset about paying for it. This is no doubt going to be a huge demo that's unattainable any other way except by buying the Blu-ray release of Advent Children. Honestly I think this is better news than having them not sell it separately and the only way to play the demo would be to buy the Blu-ray. As for the poll, I voted "yes" because I did that with the demo for Shadow of the Colossus. I know you said it doesn't include demos from gaming magazines, but considering I bought the magazine solely because of the demo... then my answer would have to be that.

By the way, I'm sure there are a lot of readers that still don't own a PS3 (or 360 for that matter) that want to play FFXIII. If you don't have one I suggest you take a look at this Stacker 2 contest going on where you can win one. There are only around 250 entrants as of now, so check it out at http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

By the way Mike, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your post. I work with 6 Hour Power so feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions about the contest or 6HP energy shots. If any of you enter, let me know and I'd be happy to vote for your design. Good luck.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com

Posted on 2 September 2008 at 16:56  

I don't mind you posting comments at all. All comments are welcome. I just moderate them to keep spam, obsessive fanboys, and trolls out. Just please don't advertise stuff. It's still technically spam, even though the first half was relevant. Also, there's a reason I don't use AdSense. If people want to win a PS3, I'm sure they can find the contest on their own. I'll let this slide this one time.

Posted on 2 September 2008 at 20:35